Sep 15, 2008

Deja in Toledo

Do you want to share?

Do you like this story?

It happened when I visited Toledo (Spain) for the first time. When I saw the city from a distance, I felt that I had been there before. The person who accompanied me started pointing out different areas of the old part of the city but I stopped him and named them myself. Then when I was walking through the old part of Toledo I kept having this feeling that I already know these streets, these buildings, these walls.

Now I strongly believe that my ancestors must have been Jews who were expelled from Spain in 1492. This might sound strange, but it makes total sense. It explains why learning Spanish came so easily to me and other family members, and why I dedicated my life to studying Spanish literature and culture. Also, different people from Spain told me that my father looks exactly like somebody they know from that part of Spain. So, maybe the DejaVu phenomenon (at least in my case) is part of some kind of deeply buried genetic memory. Continue ►

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

0 comments:

Advertisements

YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)

Advertisements

YOUR GOOGLE ADSENSE CODE HERE (300x250)